Terms of Service
This site is intended as a platform for creating connections and exchanges between locals, providing local information and generating constructive debate about local issues.
1. PalapaNet Privacy Notice
Who we are
Types of data we collect
We collect your only basic contact details that are necessary to contact you and to confirm that you are in our target area.
When someone visits www.palapanet.com, a third party service, Google Analytics, collects standard internet log information and details of visitor behavior patterns. This gives information about things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website
As part of the registration process, we collect personal information. We use that information for a couple of reasons: firstly so you can get notifications about discussions you contribute to or people you choose to communicate with. Secondly we send you notifications including a weekly newsletter summarizing activity on the site in the preceding week and very occasional emails about important local issues. We don’t rent or trade email lists with other organizations and businesses.
We use a website designed and hosted by a third-party, Namecheap. Any messages sent from PalapaNet are generated through the website. For more information, please see Namecheap Privacy Notice. You can unsubscribe to any type of or all mailings at any time of the day or night by adjusting your settings (accessed via the link in the unbounded box towards the top right of the home page entitled with your member name). Alternatively you can email our data protection officer PalapaNet admin. Only you can edit your mail preferences. So we can only help in this respect by deleting your profile completely.
We do not share any information with any third parties, EVER.
Access to your personal information
You are entitled to view, amend, or delete the personal information that we hold. Email your request to data protection officer at PalapaNet.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
Our policy will be reviewed annually thereafter.
The site’s ability to function effectively is affected by the balance of content, the tone of discussion and the ability for every member to find space on the platform. So we have a few protocols and house rules which we ask all members to follow.
2. Protocols Style
- Please present opinions and positions in a tactful and moderate fashion.
- Be constructive with your criticism. Professional critics have something to teach us: They foster healthy conversation and debate without ever attacking people personally.
- It’s easy to get the tone wrong in online forum discussions and to come across as more grumpy or unkind than we’d intend. We recommend that you don’t post in anger ever. When responding to others, think about what you’ve written, and ask yourself the question: Would you say it to their face?
- Take care with humor that might work verbally by may seem mean or censorious in typescript.
- Always exchange ideas in a civil and measured manner and avoid flaming (aggravating and/or mean spirited posts)
- Avoid any behavior that may deter other members from posting.
- Avoid raining on another members’ parade, e.g. don’t make negative comments about the price of an item for sale or unreasonably draw attention to a tiny negative issue in a post where another member is celebrating an achievement. This doesn’t mean you can’t disagree, but please be considerate – perhaps make your point on a new post.
- Try to assume goodwill and hold on to the assumption that most misunderstandings arise from the text-based format of the discussion rather than from negative intent on the part of others.
- Refrain from dominating conversations.
- Do not post anything that could be interpreted as publicity or promotion without permission of the PalapaNet’s administrators. This includes links posted for the purposes of promotion.
- Do not post anything unlawful. This includes things that might be racist, indecent, discriminatory, defamatory or threatening.
- Be aware that, as with any public website, any personal information you post is public and may be indexed by Google and other search engines. (Private messages on the other hand are private and readable only by you and the recipient).
- Do not post the personal details of others.
- We do not allow any discussions which focus on the personal lives of third party community members, be they individuals or public figures.
- Please keep your language clean. That way no one’s offended.
- Do not post any third party material that infringes any legal rights such as copyright.
- Please don’t use the site to pursue disputes or resolve problems by identifying particular people or properties.
In the event of any member abusing the community, we reserve the right to remove or edit postings. If members continue to behave in an unsuitable manner, they are liable to being barred from the community for two weeks. When they come back after this barring, if they continue to behave in this way, they will banned forever.
3. House Rules
In seeking to achieve a virtual space that is a comfortable one for the majority of members, the site administration team of Harringay Online reserve absolute discretion to manage, edit and move any posting to the site.
a. Whilst PalapaNet is not pre-moderated, we will use our discretion to edit or delete content where it is brought to our attention that it is known to be untrue or is misleading. Whilst we will do our best to contact any author whose comment has been moderated, PalapaNet is a volunteer-run site and this will not always be possible.
b. Please be courteous to other members. Whilst differences of opinion are inevitable, we do not allow discourtesy in the discussions. As a rule of thumb, we ask members to ‘play the ball, not the man’.
c. The Latest Activity panel is there to be an indicator of what’s live on the site, to focus on the interesting things in our communities and its environs and to offer a broad view of contributors’ opinions. It will be edited with these objectives in mind. If the link to your latest posting is removed from Latest Activity, please don’t take it personally, we’re just trying to make sure we offer a balanced picture of what’s happening on the site.
e. We will immediately suspend any member who spams other members or posts links to inappropriate websites. Sites we deem as inappropriate include those hosting material we feel may be offensive to our members. This includes pornographic sites, those offensive to minority groups and anonymously run political sites of any persuasion.
f. Where we feel that a discussion or a particular member’s level of contributions over a period of time may be in danger of dominating the site to the detriment of the community feel we may ask the member to trim the level of their contributions or close a discussion, normally as a temporary measure.
g. We will close or edit any discussions which, in our opinion, cross the line between healthy debate and bickering.
h. Whilst we recognize that the nature of forum conversations is for discussions on a single thread to move freely between topics, we will move or delete comments where we feel a conversation warrants being brought back on topic or the comments are repetitive ones made in the way of promoting and individual’s or group’s case or standpoint.
i. Postings which include comments which may damage another person’s reputation are strongly discouraged. They will only be considered as allowable when made by persons who have joined PalapaNet using their full real name. Any such comments will only be considered as allowable when accompanied by strong evidence to substantiate them. Such postings without strong evidence or which are posted by anonymous members are liable to immediate removal.
For the purposes of determining which comments are defamatory, we use the following text as our rule of thumb:
Defamation is a civil wrong that harms a reputation; decrease respect, regard, or confidence; or induce disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against an individual or entity. The injury to one’s good name or reputation is affected through written or spoken words or visual images.
There must be evidence of four elements: that there was a defamatory message; that the material was published, meaning that it was conveyed to someone other than its subject; that the subject could be identified as the person referred to in the defamatory material; and that the subject suffered some injury to his or her reputation as a result of the communication.
To prove that the material was defamatory, the subject must show that at least one other person who saw or heard it understood it as having defamatory meaning. It is necessary to show not that all who heard or read the statement understood it to be defamatory, but only that one person other than the subject did so. Therefore, even if the author contends that the communication was a joke, if one person other than the subject took it seriously, the communication is considered defamatory.
j. Any comments directed at a particular person which that person finds offensive are liable to removal.
k. Disputes between communities should not be aired on the site, nor does the site permit posts which unfairly tarnish the reputation of areas to the detriment of site members. Whilst we permit the airing of legitimate complaints against businesses, we do not we allow sustained attacks on businesses, in particular where that business is an independent local one.
l. Members under 18 should obtain their parent or guardian’s permission before posting any comments or materials.
m. The following postings are not permitted:
i. Any comments or messages which are likely to be construed as personal insults of other members or non-members.
ii. We have a “No pissing on other people’s parade” policy. This means that if another member has added a post to promote an event or a service, to sell something or to celebrate a local passion or the like, we do not welcome critical replies to that post and they may be deleted. If you have a point of view about the issue, you’re welcome to air it, but out of politeness please start a new thread. Disagreement and discussion is encouraged, but we ask that you always disagree politely and where appropriate ‘take the argument to another room’.
iii.Unless in exceptional circumstances, and with the agreement of site admin, criticism of any individual public servant.
iv. Postings that are essentially mindless floccinaucinihilipilification.
v. Any comments or messages which are likely to be offensive or discriminatory to other members. These may be based on race, religion, class, gender, sexual orientation, disability or area of residence or any other identity which may be considered a legal minority identity.
Subject to PalapaNet’s other house rules, members may make specific complaints about specific behavior by specific people as long as it is not implied that this behavior is characteristic of a group generally regarded as a minority.
Members may not make sweeping generalizations about the behavior or other characteristics of a group generally regarded as a minority.
vi. Any posting which is unlawful or defamatory or that we feel is likely to be considered obscene, threatening, offensive, racist, sexist, homophobic or otherwise objectionable.
vii. Any posting that violates the legal rights of others or that could damage a computer (e.g. viruses).
viii. Any posting that reveals any personal information about yourself or anyone else.
ix. Links to any sites that are gratuitously offensive or are anonymous political blogs.
n. If you hold currently, or have held or sought to hold recently a political office or if your membership is on behalf of a trade or profession which has a direct bearing on your membership, this should be clearly disclosed on your member’s page. Reminders of that affiliation should be made when appropriate if you are writing to another member or posting on a discussion. Examples of trades or professions which are relevant in the is context are:-
– an officer of government Council
– an elected representative (or stood as a candidate for election to public office in the last five years)
– an officer of a political party
o. Political Postings: In addition to n above, we allow statements of policy or fact by candidates or their representatives. However we urge great care from these members when entering debates, particularly during election periods. Statements of position or policy by candidates or their representatives, are encouraged. Comments denigrating the positions of opposing parties or any comments designed to bring into disrepute opposing parties, candidates or their positions are not.
p. Membership Eligibility
Although the site is directed at the communities of Indonesia, any individual may join.
i. Voluntary and non-profit organizations may join under their organization name where they are a recognized entity. New organizations may join under their name subject to verification of the organization’s status.
q. Commercial Activity
Please see our Policy on Promoting Commercial Interests on the Website for full information.
r. Postings about Local Businesses
PalapaNet works proactively to help local business and we encourage discussion that does the same. In support of this policy, please note following guidance:
i. Recommendations for local businesses are made and used on the basis of trust. PalapaNet can take NO liability for any services contracted or goods purchased as a result of a recommendation made on the website
ii. We maintain an overview over any attempt to ‘game’ the areas of the site that concern businesses. Any non-genuine recommendations, or fake complaints will be immediately deleted and the responsible member will be suspended. We reserve the right to publish details of any such incident on the website. We welcome members reporting incidents of this nature to us at admin[at]palapanet.com.
iii. Where a member has a complaint about a local business which represents a legitimate consumer concern, we recommend that in the first instance, recourse is sought through direct dialogue with that business. We permit negative comments about local businesses but these must be specific and measured. We do not allow comments that seem to seek to disparage a business or which are not specifically about a consumer issue, nor those which do we permit negative reference to specific individuals. Comments such as these may expose the site to legal action by the business. We give notice that any such comments will be deleted.
r. We may take any other action at any time that we believe is necessary to keep this site focused on its objectives.
s. Any decision taken by site admin is final. Whilst we are happy to debate our policy in general, we do not permit any debating of any specific moderation decision on the forum. Should any member wish to seek further clarification of our decision, they can contact us via the internal messaging system or via admin[at]palapanet.com.
t. Any member who contravenes our terms is liable to an immediate suspension of their membership. Our decision in this respect final. Any attempt to debate our decision through a second at account will result in the suspension of that secondary account.
4. Additional Terms & Conditions
We take our responsibilities seriously at PalapaNet and, without prejudice to our host’s terms & conditions want you to be aware of the following additional terms of service on PalapaNet.
1. We do not vet and are not responsible for any information which is posted on this site. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and we do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information. The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of the website.
2. Members permit PalapaNet to use, reproduce and modify any content placed on the site.
6. Feedback & Complaints
Any infringement of the terms above will be dealt with speedily by the administrators. To leave any complaints, comments or suggestions please see the information on our feedback page.
7. Terms of Service from our Platform hosts
The following Terms of Service apply to your use of this Network. You are solely responsible for your conduct and your content on the Network and compliance with these terms. By registering with us or using or browsing this Network, you acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agree to be bound by these terms. This Network is not directed to anyone younger than 13 and is offered only to users 13 years of age or older. Any person who provides their personal information through this Network represents that they are 13 years of age or older.
You agree that you will not post, email or make available any content or use this Network:
- In a manner that infringes, violates or misappropriates any third party’s intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights or contractual rights;
- in a manner that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- to engage in spamming, “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes”, advertisement of illegal or controlled products or services, or other advertising or marketing activities that violate these Terms of Service, any applicable laws, regulations or generally-accepted advertising industry guidelines;
- in a manner that is misleading, deceptive or fraudulent or otherwise illegal or promotes illegal activities, including engaging in phishing or otherwise obtaining financial or other personal information in a misleading manner or for fraudulent or misleading purposes;
- in a manner that is libelous or defamatory, or in a way that is otherwise threatening, abusive, violent, harassing, malicious or harmful to any person or entity, or invasive of anther’s privacy;
- in a manner that is harmful to minors in any way;
- in a manner that is hateful or discriminatory based on race, color, sex, religion, nationality, ethnic or national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or age or is otherwise objectionable;
- to impersonate any other person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity, or to obtain access to this Network without authorization;
- to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of this Network or prevent others from using this Network, or in a manner that disrupts the normal flow of dialogue with an excessive number of messages (flooding attack) to this Network, or that otherwise negatively affects other persons’ ability to use this Network;
- to use any manual or automated means, including agents, robots, scripts, or spiders, to access or manage any user’s account or to monitor or copy this Network or the content contained therein;
- to facilitate the unlawful distribution of copyrighted content;
- in a manner that includes personal or identifying information about another person without that person’s explicit consent;
- in a manner that employs misleading email or IP addresses, or forged headers or otherwise manipulated identifiers in order to disguise the origin of content transmitted through this Network or to users; and
- in a manner that constitutes or contains any form of advertising or solicitation if emailed to users who have requested not to be contacted about other services, products or commercial interests.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- “Stalk” or otherwise harass anyone;
- Collect, use or disclose data, including personal information, about other users without their consent or for unlawful purposes or in violation of applicable law or regulations;
- Request, solicit or otherwise obtain access to usernames, passwords or other authentication credentials from any member of this Network or to proxy authentication credentials for any member of this Network for the purposes of automating logins to this Network;
- Post any content containing child pornography to this Network;
- Post any content that depicts or contains rape, extreme violence, murder, bestiality, incest, or other similar content;
- Post any content that constitutes pornography, contains nudity, or is adult in nature.
- Use automated means, including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools, or the like to download data from this Network – except for Internet search engines (e.g. Google) and non-commercial public archives (e.g. archive.org) that comply with our robots.txt file, or “well-behaved” web services/RSS/Atom clients. We reserve the right to define what we mean by “well-behaved”;
- Post irrelevant content, repeatedly post the same or similar content or otherwise impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Network’s infrastructure;
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to our computer systems or engage in any activity that disrupts, diminishes the quality of, interferes with the performance of, or impairs the functionality of, this Network;
- Use this Network as a generic file hosting service;
- Take any action that may undermine the feedback or ratings systems (such as displaying, importing or exporting feedback information off of this Network or for using it for purposes unrelated to this Network); and
- Develop, invoke, or utilize any code to disrupt, diminish the quality of, interfere with the performance of, or impair the functionality of this Network.
You agree not to authorize or encourage any third party to use this Network to facilitate any of the foregoing prohibited conduct. You also agree that these Network Terms of Service inure to the benefit of our service providers (including our Network platform provider) and that they may take action (including the removal of your content and disabling of your account) in order to maintain compliance with these Network Terms of Service. Technology and hosting for aspects of this Network are provided by this Network’s online service provider. However, the Network Creator of this Network controls the content, membership and policy of this Network, including those pages served by such service provider on behalf of this Network. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, by participating on this Network you agree to indemnify and hold harmless such service provider on all matters related to your interaction with others using this Network and participation with this Network.